52 weeks of wasted youth; or, welcome to my life 1990-2000

I'm unsure when this brainwave hit me and why. I'd probably heard a song in a pub, or had been drinking or something. I'd go with the latter. Or maybe it was because it suddenly dawned on me that I'm fastly approaching the wrong side of 40 with very little to show for it. Who knows?

Most likely it was because I realised this blog has been left to fester yet again and in a pang of guilt and boredom decided to do a series of blog posts. On a theme, no less. Check me out with my planning and stuff. On second thoughts, please don't.

So, what should you expect to see from my 52 weeks of wasted youth? It's going to be a weekly* revisit of music past, namely from the 1990s. It's all those songs I heard week in-week out at Rock City, the songs that were constantly on my Walkman and those that you could only see on Scuzz TV or MTV2. It's the songs that you've forgotten and will make you go "Christ, I haven't heard this in donkeys!" or maybe didn't know existed.

What you won't see are the popular songs, the ones that everybody knows. Yeah, if you're coming here expecting to see 'The Beautiful People' by Marilyn Manson, then kindly shuffle on. This isn't that kind of retrospect show.

What you also won't see are any sentimental posts. There'll be no 'first kiss/crush/heartbreak' songs on here, mainly because I don't have any**. My musical selections will be accompanied by amusing anecdotes, old photos and musings...OK, ramblings. Whatever :P

So, who's going to kick-off the very first posting of this majestic journey on the nostalgia train? Remember Flyscreen? Of course you don't, nobody does***. Well, apart from me, obviously. Also, this was released waaaaaaay before Lolly's version (yeah, I remember her too. Wonder what happened to her?)

So...here you go: 'Mickey' by Flyscreen. Enjoy!



* Yes, before you start I'm aware that technically if it's weekly then I should've started it last week. Shush.

** Seriously, I don't. All I remember about my first kiss (other than being drunk) was the fact he tasted of spearmint chewing gum. Which, in hindsight, was a good thing.

*** Apparently they were still going as recently as 2015. So, it looks like people do still remember them.

Comments